The Prinsengracht in Amsterdam is a canal, which runs parallel to the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam Center. The canal, named after the Prince of Orange, is the fourth of the four main canals belonging to the ring of canals.
Construction began in 1612, at the initiative of Mayor Frans Hendricksz. Oetgens, after a design by city carpenter Hendrick Jacobsz Staets and city surveyor Lucas Jansz Sinck.
The part between Leidsegracht and Amstel belongs to the 1658 explanation. The last expansion included the section east of the Amstel River. This section was named Nieuwe Prinsengracht.
Continuing the Prinsengracht, between the Brouwersgracht and the Westerdok, is the Korte Prinsengracht.